Racing and stable scenes after paintings by James Seymour engraved by T Burford. Circa 1752. These show 18th century stabling little different in design to the ones in Dunster Castle. The walls are now solid and divide the horses from each other. The cobbles are much the same. However it is nice to see sheaves of straw freshly cut lying across the stall. The mangers are similar to the ones in Dunster and the hayracks are identical, although missing in the top print. This style of stabling continued unchanged into the 20th century.
Provenance: Julian Armytage Heritage of the Turf , Catalogue. June 1986.