The 16th Earl of Derby built these stables in 1903. Architecturally they are Victorian, with a classic clock tower. A clock being important as stable lads did not have wrist watches in those days and everything was run on military precision.
The Honourable George Lambton was his trainer winning 14 classic races. He also set up an enquiry into the drugging of horses and was responsible for bringing to light the extent of the practice. He also trained Anchora the dam of Scapa Flow who was by Chaucer.
In 1913 she dropped a colt foal by Phalaris named Pharos, who became the corner stone of modern throughbreds by producing Nearco and Nasrullah who was exported to America to join the Hancock breeding operation and who then gave us some of the greatest racehorses of the current era.
In 1933 Walter Earl, took over the yard and saddled six wartime winners (Second World War) among them the Derby with Watling Street, as well as the brilliant stayer Alycidon. Colledge Leader took over as trainer.
The property was sold to Gavin Pritchard Gordon in 1976 and then to Sheikh Mohammed in the 1980’s. John Gosden became the trainer there training Benny the Dip to win the Derby. He left in 1999 moving to Manton and David Loder took over. The current trainer is Saeed bin Suroor who now trains the Godolphin string.